Buyback military years

h2. Should I even buy the years? what if we use the 13K for something really special? the cashflow is way out there.

1 36 7836.4409
2 37 8692.4214
3 38 9592.7079
4 39 10539.1884
5 40 11533.8243
6 41 12578.6531
7 42 13675.7911
8 43 14827.4367
9 44 16035.8728
10 45 17303.4704
11 46 18632.6915
12 47 20026.0928
13 48 21486.3287
14 49 23016.1553
15 50 24618.4338
16 51 26296.1345
17 52 28052.3406
18 53 29890.2526
19 54 31813.1921
20 55 33824.6069
21 56 35928.0746
22 57 38127.3083
23 58 40426.1607
24 59 42828.6297
25 60 45338.8632
26 61 47961.165
27 62 50700
28 63 53560
29 64 56545.97
30 65 59662.89

If you’ve spent time in on active duty with an honorable discharge (i.e. you have a DD-214) and you then join the civil service, it is possible to pay for your military years and receive credit for FERS.

* What are the various deadlines?

There is a two-year interest free period that begins on your date of hire. However, since the interest is added on an annual basis, if the deposit amount is paid in full prior to three years of your hire date the deposit is interest.

* Can I collect my civilian and reserve retirements? (Retirement: You must waive your military retired pay in order to receive credit for military service in a civilian annuity, unless your military retirement is based on)

employee. The deposit can be made in one single payment, multiple payments, or through payroll deductions, normally for as little as $25-$50

There are two reasons to do this:
* You could retire sooner, or
* Your can increase your retirement annuity

Here are the rules:
* The deposit must be paid in full while you are a federal employee
* that you must have at least five years of creditable civilian service and be covered under the CSRS or FERS retirement system on the date of retirement

All the details are here: “”:

Here is the math. The deposit amount is 3% of military base pay for FERS employees.

There are three steps to make this happen:

Obtain your total estimated military earnings by sending form RI20-97 and a copy of your DD214 to your respective military pay representative. The military payroll office will send you a short letter or form indicating your total estimated earnings during your military service.

Complete a SF-3108 or SF-2803 This form requires a statement on the form concerning military deposits, which is not available on the on-line version. Obtain the edited form from your HR office. HR will forward the documents to your civilian payroll office. Your payroll office will bill you directly.

Make the deposit to your civilian payroll office. You can pay the deposit in one lump sum, a series of payments, or sign up for payroll deductions, normally for as little as $50 per pay period. The deposit must be paid in full while you are employed and cannot be made after you retire.
Step 4: When the deposit is complete, your payroll office will send you a letter that the deposit is paid in full. Keep this document for your permanent retirement records and send a copy to your HR office. Payroll will not usually notify your HR office of the deposit, so it is very important that you retain a copy of this letter until you

classdef PaymentPlanner  0 
               obj.year_of_departure = 2011 + years_from_now;
%           how many years are we looking at total?
            obj.n                       = PaymentPlanner.years_out+1;
%           which years are we looking at?
            obj.years                   = (2011:(2011+PaymentPlanner.years_out))';
%           what are the years of the experiment?            
            obj.tv_each_year            = obj.years;           
%           what age are you each year?
            obj.tv_age                  = obj.years-(ones(obj.n,1)*1976);
%           what is your age when you leave service?
            obj.year_of_62              = obj.years(obj.tv_age == 62);
            obj.age_at_departure        = obj.year_of_departure-obj.birthday(1);
%           what is the inflation-adjusted salary in each year?
            obj.tv_salary               = obj.increase_with_inflation(obj.starting_salary)';
%           what is the inflation-adjusted salary at exit            
            obj.departing_salary_TY     = obj.tv_salary(obj.years == obj.year_of_departure);
%           how much cash on hand each year?
            obj.tv_cash_on_hand_TY      = obj.increase_with_inflation(obj.amt_years_buyback)';
%           how many years in federal service?
            obj.total_time_in_service   = obj.year_of_departure - PaymentPlanner.year_started_service;
%           how much cash would the government return?
            obj.payout                  = calculate_payout(obj);
%           what is the yearly payment available in 2011 dollars?
            obj.yearly_payment_BY       = obj.present_value(obj.get_retirement_BY, obj.year_of_62 - obj.year_of_departure);
        function compare_30_year_coa(obj)
           for i = 1:30
               obj.year_of_departure = 2011 + i;
               obj.age_at_departure  = obj.year_of_departure-obj.birthday(1);
               obj.total_time_in_service   = obj.year_of_departure - PaymentPlanner.year_started_service;
               obj.yearly_payment_BY       = obj.present_value(obj.get_retirement_BY, obj.year_of_62 - obj.year_of_departure);
               disp([num2str(i) '|' num2str(obj.age_at_departure) '|' num2str(obj.yearly_payment_BY)]);
               A(i) = obj.yearly_payment_BY;
        function out = present_value(obj, x, years)
            out = x/((1+obj.inflation_rate)^years);
        function out = increase_with_inflation(obj,x)
            out = x*((1+obj.inflation_rate).^(1:obj.n));
        function display_output(obj)
            disp(['At age ' num2str(obj.age_at_departure) ' you would depart with a base year salary of ' num2str(obj.starting_salary) ]);
            disp(['You would get ' num2str(obj.yearly_payment_BY) ' (BY11) going forward at age 62.']);
        function payout = calculate_payout(obj)
            idx                         = find(obj.tv_age == 62);
            count_to_the_top            = length(obj.tv_payout_TY(idx:end));
            retirement_starting_salary  = obj.get_retirement_TY;
            obj.tv_payout_TY(idx:end)   = retirement_starting_salary*(1+obj.inflation_rate).^(1:count_to_the_top);
            payout                      = sum(obj.tv_payout_TY);
        function yearly_payment = get_retirement_TY(obj)
            yearly_payment      = (obj.total_time_in_service/100)*obj.departing_salary_TY;
        function yearly_payment = get_retirement_BY(obj)
            yearly_payment      = (obj.total_time_in_service/100)*obj.starting_salary;            
        function obj = value_at_age_62(obj)

h2. What are the steps?

Do I fall under: Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)?
No because no civilian service was interrupted.
How much do I pay?
For periods of service performed during 1999 the deposit equals 3.25%; and during 2000 the deposit equals 3.40%. After 31 Dec 00 the deposit returns to 3% of your military base pay.
For periods of service performed during 1999 the deposit equals 3.25%; and during 2000 the deposit equals 3.40%. After 31 Dec 00 the deposit returns to 3% of your military base pay.
So, for example, I joined in 07/04/1999 and departed in 08/05/2009
What is the process

Leave a Reply