Recently, I purchased the upgrade to Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 for Windows
and experienced some difficulty installing the software. Officially, the web-site
lists the following supported versions:
- Windows Server 2000
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows XP SP2 or higher, 32-bit
- Windows 2000 SP4 or higher
- Windows Vistaâ„¢ or Windows Vistaâ„¢ SP1, 32-bit
- 64-bit OS not currently supported
I started the installation on my virtual box which is running Windows Server
2008, but when I clicked on the setup.exe, I was greeted with the following
From a google, search it looked like DNS 9.5 successfully installed: http://www.speechcomputing.com/node/1766,
but I was not able to find out much help with version 10. It is clear that DNS
10 required, the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, which I
After downloading, I tried the setup.exe again with the result of the same error
shown above. At this point I turned to the forums on voicerecognition.com/,
which provided a pdf of quick-tips found here.
From this pdf, I found the following directions:
1. Click on the Start menu> click on Run> type in msconfig and hit Ok
2. Click the Startup Tab then note all items enabled
3. Click Disable all
4. Click Apply then close and restart computer as prompted
5. Download http://download.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/10/DragonInstall.zip
6. Extract DragonInstall.zip to a location on your system.
7. Open the DragonInstall folder that was created in this location.
8. Double click the install_vcruntime.vbs file and follow the installation through
to the end
9. Once finished, double click the install_dragon.vbs file.
10. Answer YES on the prompts on where the Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation
files are located.
11. Follow the Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation through to the end.
Note #1: You may still see an error but the error will ask you if you want to
cancel the installation, click no and
Steps one through three produced:
After reboot I downloaded http://download.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/10/DragonInstall.zip,
unzipped and ran http://download.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/10/DragonInstall.zip.
You’ll see something like this:
But when I clicked on the install_dragon.vbs file, I got:
I tried another approach. From looking at the install script: install_dragon.vbs,
I tried to manually run the msi:
But this resulted in yet another error that d:setup.cab is missing (which
you can clearly see above).
I know windows server 2008 is not supported, but I think I really should be able to figure this out. If anyone can help, please put comments below and I’ll update the entry to help out any others.